Genuine Tribal Batik - Aboriginal Artwork, 100% Hand Painted by Miao Artist
~ Featuring ~
* Inherited Technique - 100% Hand Painted with Traditional Wax Knife and Bee Wax *
* Authentic Tribal Art - Creative Figures and Geometric Shapes Unique to Ethnic Miao *
* Aboriginal Artwork - some Abstract Symbols and Totems Rooted in Ancestral Traditions *
Ethnic Miao - Artistic Tribe from Mountainous Southwest China
This aboriginal yet passionate wax batik painting is hand created by an ethnic Miao lady artist (also called Hmong, they have the same roots) using a traditional wax knife . The Miao are a very artistic tribe rooted in the remote mountainous Southwest China. They enjoy expressing their artistic talent and aesthetic in the form of batik art (as well as embroidery and silver ornaments). You will find many creative figures and geometric shapes that are all aboriginal, with abstract symbols and totems that could be traced back to some 2000 years ago.
Miao Batik Art - Tradition and Technique Dating from 220AD
Miao batik is all manual and the process is rather tedious. It involves wax drawing (with a traditional wax knife using beeswax), repetitive dyeing and wax melting. This technique could be dated back to the Han Dynasty (220 AD). It was lost among mainstream Chinese but kept very well by the ethnic Miao, and the United Nations (UN) has named Miao batik costumes as one of the world's cultural relics. With its aboriginal technique and distinctive style, this ethnic artwork would be a nice addition to garnish your home.
In 2006, the Chinese government in alignment with United Nations UNESCO heritage policy, accredited Miao Batik an Intangible Cultural Heritage, recognizing its contribution to cultural diversity and human creativity, and safeguarding this human treasure, allowing it to be kept alive.
* Miao batiks are plain, rough and powerful. Their shapes, not confining to the exact details of natural images, are boldly diversified and dramatically drawn, making them vivid and passionate! *
Item #: GZMILR552B
Measurements: 8.1 x 8.7 inches
Material: Wax Batik on Cotton
* ORIGINALLY DRAWN BY AN ETHNIC MIAO ARTIST, NOT A REPRODUCTION *