~ Featuring ~
* BEAUTIFULLY HANDCRAFTED: Handmade piece by piece, no factory mass production - 100% artistically crafted by highly skilled Miao artisans from hill tribes in Southwest China *
* MATERIAL: Top quality 99.9% pure silver and enamel detailing. A higher purity standard than 925 sterling silver. *
* ETHICALLY SOURCED: Partnering with and directly sourcing from ethnic artisans in Southwest China. A unique chance to help our social mission to improve the livelihood of marginalised ethnic minorities and preserve their cultural heritage! *
* INCREASINGLY RARE CRAFTSMANSHIP, INTANGIBLE CULTURAL HERITAGE: Handcrafted in filigree, an ancient and increasingly extinguishing art only cultivated today by Miao people and few Han Chinese artisans in Central China - Meticulously created using Miao Hmong traditional silversmith techniques enlisted in China as National Intangible Heritage since 2006 *
* EXQUISITE ARTISTIC DESIGN: Delicate natural patterns creatively enlivened with exquisite colourful enamel work â?Brilliant combination of art and fashion to easily standout *
Skilfully crafted by Miao artists in naturally glowing pure silver filigree, these fabulous earrings feature the unique, intricate allegoric design typical of Miao art. Exquisite floral butterflies, dragonflies, peacocks vividly pin your ears in delicate contrasts produced by blue and green enamel detailing on silver light. Wear it with a denim jacket to recall the colourful pattern and refresh your casual outfit.
Miao Hmong people living in Southwest China, Northern Thailand, Vietnam and Laos are worldly renowned for their rich artistic heritage and incredible manufacturing skills that they express through their unique clothing and exquisite jewelry. Silversmithing is a long-established male tradition with strong cultural connotation and artistic value, featuring both a high level of creativity and technical sophistication. In China, Miao silver crafting was enlisted in national cultural heritage in 2006.
Each unique piece is crafted from 999 silver, which contains at least 99.9% silver and just 0.1% of other metals, generally copper or white brass. Pure silver is very bright and malleable. Because of this softness, it is considered hard to craft into jewelry. Most silversmiths worldwide therefore use sterling (a.k.a. 925) silver, an alloy composed by 92.5% of silver and of other metals by 7.5%. Miao Hmong artisans possess the exceptional skills for crafting purer silver using time-consuming techniques.
Watch the following video to discover how Miao people use silver in daily attire:
LÄsÄ«, (æä¸, wire drawing) or filigree is a traditional Chinese crafting art. Due to its laboriousness, filigree is increasingly rare today and even in China only Miao crafters and few artisans from Beijing and Chengdu are able to master it. The technique distinctively consists of soldering small pieces, rather than chiselling or engraving one piece of metal, normally gold or silver. The metal is first melted in a charcoal furnace. Once solidified, it is hammered into a thin bar which is then cut and pull with tweezers into several wires as thin as hair. Finally, the design is created by twisting the wires into one sturdy wire that is embedded in a silver frame. Ever changing patterns creatively celebrate nature and life through symbolism.
Watch a real Miao silversmith at work:
Item #: MIFLLS999CYEH101
Measurements: 0.4 x 0.3 inches each; Weight: 0.7 g
Material: 99.9% pure silver (Higher purity standard than 925 sterling silver) and enamel detailing
Care instructions: Pure silver is very delicate and subject to oxidation. Polish delicately with a silver cleaning cloth to remove oxidation stains. Store in a box when not used.
With this purchase you contribute to our great cause! Interact China is a social enterprise committed to improve the livelihood of marginalised ethnic minorities and preserve their cultural heritage by promoting their products worldwide. We travel around China and Southeast Asia to work directly with the local artisans and bring their beautiful handicrafts directly at your door. Thank you for supporting us!